Puget Sound Trip

After several years of no "Guy's Trip", we went on a trip around the Puget Sound from August 9th to August 12th, 2001. The group gathered for this trip was:

We determined that Mike and Tom are Producers, while Paul and I are Consumers.

We sailed aboard Mike's High Hopes, a 1981 Nauticat 44. (LOA = 50 feet, LWL = 38 feet, Hull Speed = 8.6 knots)

The hardest part of the trip began the day before, when I gathered all of my cool tools and survival items. Which ones to take?

I've got too much stuff.

It was hard to decide which knives to bring. I decided on the Myerchin marlinspike (far left), the blue L.L. Bean Swiss Army knife (middle), and a Leatherman Micra (not shown). Whew!

No one tool is perfect, thus one needs many tools.

Captain Mike has been sailing for over ten years. Mike really enjoyed relaxing aboard his boat.

We've got to figure out how to throw his cell phone overboard!

The first night we anchored on the West coast of Blake Island, just a few miles away from Seattle. After this beautiful sunset, we watched the stars at night, with Tom pointing out the Andromeda Galaxy (M-31) at 47 degrees above our local horizon.

This is why people sail -- beautiful scenery restores the soul!

As night came upon us, Tom wanted to hoist a makeshift antenna for hooking up his Elecraft K2 radio which he has built. This interesting radio has a built-in 12V battery and can transmit using 15W of power. He has talked with over a hundred countries on it, but our results were not as good as usual: we talked with Hawaii and heard from the Cook Islands, and parts of Europe.

Here we see the Captain hooking up a halyard to hoist his makeshift wire antenna aloft.

Here the tinkerers are tinkering with a makeshift ham radio antenna.

Here Tom and Paul discuss shortwave radios. The radio Tom built is on the table.

Tom can decode and write Morse Code while carrying on a conversation!

The next morning Tom rowed him and me to shore in the dinghy. Here is the view of the ship as we neared shore.

I had never rowed ashore before.  I felt like Captain Cook!

The view from Blake Island looking west.

Tom liked the water.  I wore the wrong shoes.

I got sunburned.

Many people said I looked like a raccoon.

High Hopes is a nice ketch-rigged sailboat, which means that it has two masts, and the rear mast is aft of the helm.

Mike spent a bunch of time with flags on the trip.

After a walk along the beach we returned to the ship.

Honda makes great outboard motors.

We saw one of the new Nordhavn 35's. This photo was taken through a pair of Fuji 7x50 binoculars. The line is from the binoculars.

Part of me wants another boat, if Honda made it!

We next went to Bremerton, the home of a large Naval shipyard.

Impressive vessels made us feel pretty small.

This is the World War II aircraft carrier MIDWAY. It has been decommissioned for years and is in storage at Bremerton.

An active aircraft carrier was protected by a guard boat but they didn't mind us getting near the old ships.

That night we anchored in the bay between Bremerton and Port Orchard. Paul made us hamburgers on a gas grill outside while Tom made us a very nice salad.

Tom and I played as infants in Cincinatti Ohio where we were both born.

The next day we went to Port Orchard for showers and such, and then headed to Poulsbo. As we arrived in Poulsbo our friend Randy Hamblin was just arriving from Seattle in his Willard 36 called "Saga". We enjoyed a great visit with Randy and his wife Nancy.

Randy is a great guy.

When in Poulsbo, one must always hit the bakery!

The Poulsbo bakery is famous in the Northwest for its bread.

We got from our boat to town and back by hitching a ride with Randy on his boat while Mike's boat stayed at anchor.

A flotilla of two boats.

Mike has a lot of lines on his boat.

A rope being used aboard a ship is called a line.

The next day Tom talked me into going for a swim in the 67 degree water. This is me just after I jumped in.

I felt like I would never come back up to the surface!

When I came up to the surface I really was glad to breathe. I also gulped a bunch of seawater, which wasn't that tasty. I haven't jumped in from a height into water since I was 17. I am glad that I did it. The water was actually not too cold.

I finally got my breath here.  The water actually felt fine.

After swimming around to the back of the boat I had to climb out of the water and up the ladder, the hardest physical exertion of the trip. Here I am pretty exhausted.

The rungs hurt like heck when I climbed up the ladder.

Tom continued to jump and dive from higher and higher spots.

Tom is in great shape.

This is Tom after going in from the top of the pilothouse.

He jumped and dived in several times.  I jumped in only once.

We kept seeing this biplane/float plane fly past us in the bay at Poulsbo. Fun!

Float planes are even more fun than regular planes.  I wonder why boat/cars haven't caught on more?

On the final day we got some wind and sailed back to Seattle. We got all three sails up and hit 6 knots with about 10 knots of wind. What a great trip!

Mike was happy to finally sail!

Back to the Home Page

Created:  13 Aug 2001
Modified: 22 Sep 2001